Saturday, November 9, 2013

Arts ReSTORE LA: Westwood, November 2013



I have a confession to make.  I used to hate Los Angeles.  I moved away at 17 years old, and said I would never live here again, but when, almost five years ago now, a series of life circumstances led me back to the city where I lived out my high school years, I was surprised to find myself quickly growing to love this city.  Yes, there are a million reasons to dislike LA.  Traffic, smog, and natural disasters have given the City of Angels a bad name for many years, but every time I leave my house, I am reminded of the many reasons I love this city that I now call “home”.

Last night, as I was wandering around Westwood at dusk, I stumbled across a newly opened space on the corner of Westwood Blvd. and Weyburn Ave.  The stenciled signage on the window said “Arts ReSTORE LA”, and as if my own curiosity wasn’t enough, the display of the glass-fronted shop lured me in with its warmly lit glow and array of unique objects of art that were too enchanting to ignore.  As I walked into this little eden of art, every one of the colors, textures, and shapes around me beckoned to be examined and explored.



I wandered around the miniature gallery that had seemingly sprung up out of nowhere, and as I perused the various exhibitions manned by artists sitting casually at tables or tweaking and adjusting their work, one artist’s creations, in particular, captivated my attention instantaneously.  Cocoon-like stoneware lanterns permitted the escape of beams of warm light from a variety of honeycomb-like apertures and lent an ultra-modern and somehow simultaneously primitive ambiance to Heather Levine’s section of this tiny gallery.  Her ceramic art has an earthy simplicity, and I immediately wanted to snatch every single lantern in sight and run home to cover my walls and tables with them until there was no need for light from any other source. I imagined my little apartment looking like some ancient world from a fairytale where mythical winged creatures soar about like dragonflies among futuristic architecture.  Yeah, I pretty much totally geeked out.
   
As always, I felt compelled to speak with the artist from whose mind these amazing little creations had come, and so I walked over to the table where Heather Levine sat amongst her trove of hand-crafted treasures.   She was kind enough to explain that this particular space was one of many pop-up galleries in the Westwood Village that are part of a larger urban renewal project put on by The Hammer Museum and funded by a grant from the Goldhirsh Foundation with additional support from UCLA and the Diane and Dorothy Brooks Foundations.  The goal of the project is to use The Hammer’s “incredible network of local talent and expertise in arts and culture to curate an artisanal pop-up village in Westwood and offer a long term strategy to turn the neighborhood around permanently” after years of high rates of retail vacancies and rapid turnover of local businesses.  This project is accompanied by a series of events and performances in the public courtyard of The Hammer and takes place just as the holiday season opens with the hope that holiday shoppers will patronize the exhibitions in search of unique gifts and help jump-start a renaissance of the Westwood Village.



The span of the Arts ReSTORE LA project goes far beyond the boundaries of the village surrounding The Hammer Museum and includes fund-raising events that seek to support communities in the broader Los Angeles area.  Levine and a group of 15 Los Angeles-based ceramic artists will be hosting a “Handmade Bowl & Cup Party” on November 23rd from 6-8pm.  Tickets to this event are $45 and proceeds go to the Inner City ArtsOrganization, a group that provides arts education programs to elementary, middle, and high school students in Los Angeles' poorest neighborhoods in an effort to support their academic and personal growth and to nurture the creative minds of the future.

As I wistfully drifted out of the little gallery to continue on with the rest my adventures for the evening, I couldn’t help but feel the warm stirrings of hope inside me as I pondered the possibilities that the Arts ReSTORE LA project could hold.  As someone who believes in the immense growth-inspiring and healing potentials of art and creative work, I feel certain that it is innovative, community-based projects like these pop-up galleries that are the keys to developing a society in which structural functionality and social well-being come together in an organic union.  So, when people ask me if I love Los Angeles, my answer is, without hesitation, an emphatic "yes", because of the constant access and exposure to so many different creative minds and the opportunity to take part in inspired events like Arts ReSTORE LA.


Please check out the following link to learn more about the specific 

No comments:

Post a Comment